Saturday, February 9, 2008

I didn't know you wrote...

It's been a long time since I've written here, almost a month in fact. Were it not for the fact that the number of readers for this blog is so low, I would feel a bit guilty. In any case, things have been progressing normally. Second semester is going smoothly. Since I've last written, I caught the flu which knocked me out of commission for two days straight. It was a pretty horrible time especially since I tried to go in to teach during the first day. Other than that, things have been great.

I experienced an eventful moment in teaching just last night. I had gate duty for a basketball tournament so it basically meant that I took money. However, since I was at a door where so few visitors came in, I didn't really have much to do. I mostly sat there for 3 hours listening to the maudlin lamenting of one of my 7th graders who is currently heartbroken because the girl he likes isn't interested. It was kind of endearing, though it got old after the first hour. After a while, the student asked if I wanted to read his dream journal. This surprised me because this is a student who complains vocally before, during, and after every writing assignment. You would think that I was pulling his shoulder out of the socket given the amount that he protests. However, here he was, showing me his dream journal which was filled with a rather detailed record of his nightly adventures.

I was pleased that he decided to share something so private with me, but also a bit disappointed in myself that I had written him off as someone who would never enjoy writing. Apparently, he had already found a mode of expression for his writing and the activities I had planned in school never seemed to fulfill his desire to write. It was a small reminder that the will to write can come from different inspirations and apparently even the most resistant student can find a outlet for expression through writing.

I'll have to keep this in mind as I design future lessons.

No comments: